Monday 25 June 2018

Call to Arms: The Fyreslayers

For June, July and August, the fine folks at my favourite hobby store, Black Knight Games, are hosting a new Call to Arms painting challenge for the Games Workshop miniature game, Age of Sigmar.

I've always loved dwarves, but strangely I've never collected a dwarf army for Warhammer.


The Fyreslayer army caught my eye. and so I immediately ran out and purchased an army of one hundred Fyreslayer dwarves (and two giant flamey lizards!) to paint.

Tray 'o dwarves

I dug around the intertubes and did some research and tried to come up with a colour scheme that felt different. Standard Fyreslayers look very Spartan-like, and while I like those colours, they were too much like my recent Khorne Bloodbound army.

A sample of my Bloudbound army

I wanted a paint scheme that captured the forge-born aspect of the Fyreslayers, and especially their use of glowing-hot magical runes.

Then it hit me...

Fire Giants!

If I painted my little fire dwarves like fire giants, they'd not only have a distinctive look, but they'd be ironic, in a fantasy sort of way.

So here's my first, test model...


He has dark, almost black skin, with blazing hot runes hammered into it, combined with a beard and plume of flame! I think the lava base also adds to his distinctive look, and really sells the 'heat'.

I'm pretty stoked!

*cough*

Only 99 more to go...




No comments:

Post a Comment